¿Muy Ocupada?
"Give a hand."
One of the more overused modern metonomies. I never truly appreciated it until today.
I am piled under 7 inches of snow and ice. The results of a three day snow storm that had a one day patch of ice rain/sleet/God knows whatever torment mother nature decided would be a fun mix-in. My car is frozen to my driveway, and I can't go anywhere.
I had to be at work yesterday at 4:30. I went outside at 2:15 to start shoveling. It usually takes me 15 minutes and then I help my neighbors shovel, however yesterday I was shoveling up until 4:15 when I realized I wouldnt' be leaving my driveway. It's not such a bad thing, my workplace was closed anyway. But back to the point, my neighbors and I used to have a system. That is, before they all upgraded to expensive snowblowers and icemelt. Now the old fashioned days of friendship and cocoa have turned into metal luxury and no communication.
An upgrade?
Well I shoveled, and shoveled, and shoveled some more to find no end to my peril. If only I had been smart enough to invest what little money I don't have into a snowblower. Alas, I was left to struggle as my neighbors left their driveways with ease in their SUV's, sliding past me and giving a look that most likely meant "I'm so sorry that my super blower 3000 works perfectly and your shovel is breaking. I'm on my way to the movies, bye!"
Snobs. Is this what technology and "luxury" is turning our society into? Is this our future that's so bright we have to put our shades on?
If it is, I much prefer the dark ages.


1 Comments:
I love it that someone in Amerika uses "metonomies" [sp]. I live in snow country, north of you. Lots and lots of snow. I rather enjoy shoveling (except yesterday was like blocks of ice, not fluffy lake effect snow). I loathe snowblowers almost as much as leaf blowers. Something about the sound. I loathe SUVs; something about the greed.
Publicar un comentario
<< Home